Sunday, November 21, 2010

Short Writing, Reviews, and... moar?

Sup soul sistas.


Harry Potter 7 pt. 1 (2010, dir. David Yates)

The latest installment in this epic series certainly didn't disappoint when I saw it on Saturday, but I became immediately conflicted about it after leaving the theater with my girlfriend. Here's the skinny; on one hand, I loved the books a lot and the rich world they created was truly addicting and amazing (Dear Twilight, kill yourself) and I always felt like the movies captured a lot of the magic (no pun intended) of the books. However, the films themselves (as films) aren't... really that good. The chemistry between Ron and Hermoine is decent, but every emotional beat between Harry and Hermoine feels absolutely forced and borders on outrageous. Indeed, I laughed when Harry dances with Hermoine in order to get her to cheer up. Similarly, all the "comedic" lines fall flat if you've graduated elementary school, and so do the sad scenes (with the exception of one towards the end).

Of course, when Radcliffe isn't on screen, the other supporting actors own that shit. Shoutouts to Ralph Fiennes for embodying Voldemort so damn well, and Rupert Grint for holding down our trio of protagonists. Otherwise, I could do without a lot of the performances that didn't feel... as though they cared anymore.

As for plot, I suppose I'd forgotten a lot about the book. Things surprised me, and I was disappointed to find Yates beating us over the head with the whole Nazi allegory and the carrying of amulet (horcrux) became uncomfortably similar to a certain ring from a certain well-known series. These, coupled with a lack of explanation for little details made me feel like there wasn't as much time spent with the film as there could have been, which surprises me considering they're chopping the last book into two. I will say, however, that the 3 Brothers story cinematic was beautifully done and probably the best part of the film visually.

Hermoine side-boob/10

PS: The whole book/movie comparison is a dead horse. Let's not even discuss it.


I've, of course, been watching loads of movies in my two film courses this term, but I don't want to post anything and then get accused of plagiarizing my own work (since my name isn't on this blog). It'll have to wait until the break!

Anyone know any web design? I'm thinking about starting my own website in order to host some videos/shorts that I want to get more into making, as well as move my blog there and have links to my facebook/twitter/youtube accounts. I don't know if I can really justify it since I don't get any traffic to this blog but whatevs yo.


As for my thoughts on Call of Duty: Black Ops (one of the biggest game releases this year), I did a couple on my YouTube if you're extra bored. 1 2 3

No comments:

Post a Comment